"My body, my choice" only makes sense when someone else’s life isn’t at stake.
Fun fact: If my younger sister was in a car accident and desperately needed a blood transfusion to live, and I was the only person on Earth who could donate blood to save her, and even though donating blood is a relatively easy, safe, and quick procedure no one can force me to give blood. Yes, even to save the life of a fully grown person, it would be ILLEGAL to FORCE me to donate blood if I didn’t want to.
See, we have this concept called “bodily autonomy.” It’s this….cultural notion that a person’s control over their own body is above all important and must not be infringed upon.
Like, we can’t even take LIFE SAVING organs from CORPSES unless the person whose corpse it is gave consent before their death. Even corpses get bodily autonomy.
To tell people that they MUST sacrifice their bodily autonomy for 9 months against their will in an incredibly expensive, invasive, difficult process to save what YOU view as another human life (a debatable claim in the early stages of pregnancy when the VAST majority of abortions are performed) is desperately unethical. You can’t even ask people to sacrifice bodily autonomy to give up organs they aren’t using anymore after they have died.
You’re asking people who can become pregnant to accept less bodily autonomy than we grant to dead bodies.
^^That comment for the win.
I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
- Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela. 1918 - 2013.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
- Woman: I'm smart
- Patriarchy: Well you're probably ugly then
- Woman: I'm creative
- Patriarchy: You mean unattractive right?
- Woman: I have all these incredible accomplishments
- Patriarchy: Yeah but look how ugly you looked doing them
- Woman: I have value
- Patriarchy: Not if you're ugly lol
- Woman: I'm conventionally-attractive & posted selfies on my blog
- Patriarchy: I'm so sick of these empty-headed chicks only caring about their looks. Just because you are attractive and get attention from men doesn't mean you are special or deserve respect. Why don't you read a book or do something productive with your life you dumb slut
he’ll say “are you married?” we’ll say “wow those are pretty invasive questions for a snowman”
Realizing I deserved better changed everything.
WORK: “Punctuation social personalities”
Poster by Carrie J Keplinger
The goddamn movies. They can ruin you. I’m not kidding.
Happy Thanksgiving from Garth and Kat!
Looking pissed while enjoying a nice thanksgiving meal with her loved ones.